The 5 Best Inline Water Filter – Updated Guide For 2018
If you are in the market for a new water filtration system, you are probably realizing there are many more choices than you originally imagined. You may also be confused by jargon about microns, particulates and filtration system media.
You only want clean water for you and your family, and we can all understand that. Not to fear. It may seem overwhelming, but we are here to help make the decision easier. Your drinking water is important to you, and rightfully so.
5 Best Inline Water Filter Comparisons
Best Inline Water Filters
1. Watt Inline Filter – 20,000 Capacity
This flexible model is good for any number of uses. It is a perfect fit for ice makers, commercial coffee makers, refrigerators, water coolers and even for water fountains.
It could be great for your home, RV, camper or boat. The Watts model has an expected lifespan of five years and a capacity of up to 20,000 gallons. It is NSF tested and to reduce chlorine taste and odor and reduce scale buildup.
The special filtration media allows the system bacteriostatic properties, which may extend the life of the filter even beyond the intended five years.
The Watts Inline Filter – 20,000-gallon capacity will noticeably reduce any visual flakes, spots or cloudiness in your water immediately after installation and initial flush.
It is one of the top-rated models in its field and has a 4.5 out of 5-star rating.
- 20,000-gallon capacity is most among products in this review
- 4.5-star rating
- Only product in this review that is specifically WQA test and certified
- Most flexibility of all products in this review
- Easy maintenance and installation
- NSF tested but not certified to reduce chlorine
- Possible drop in flow rate after one year
- Mounting bracket may require additional fitting for some model
- Lasts up to 20,000 gallons
- WQA Tested and Certified
- Reduces chlorine taste and odor and is bacteriostatic
- Great for refrigerators, ice-makers, RVs, campers, boats, water fountains, water coolers, commercial coffee makers and more
- Easy to install directly into your existing plumbing
2. Culligan EZ-Change Water Filter
This model is convenient and practical for any refrigerator or ice maker. One of the best aspects of the Culligan is in the easy installation and maintenance.
The filters simply screw off and on to make them practical and easy to change, no matter your level of expertise. This filter will noticeably reduce any chlorine taste or odor, particularly class III. It can also significantly reduce lead and cysts such as turbidity, atrazine, cryptosporidium, giardia, lindane and other class I particulates.
Its 3,000-gallon capacity makes it perfect for homes, boats, campers, and RVs. The easy to change cartridges normally last around six months or 500 gallons before needed to be changed. They are easily changed via a “screw-on, screw-off” method.
- Easiest installation of all products in this review
- Reduces parasitic cysts such as turbidity, atrazine, cryptosporidium, and other class I particles
- 4.5-star average rating
- One of the most affordable products in this review
- Noticeably reduces bad taste, color and odor from your water
- 3,000 gallon capacity is one of the lowest of products in this review
- Cartridges need to be replaced approximately every six months or 500 gallons
- Efficient in reducing color and taste, but reviews suggest it may not be as efficient as others in this review
- Reduces bad taste and odor, chlorine taste and odor, particulate class lllTwist on, twist off mechanism
- Quick connect fittings
- Features twist-on and twist-off mechanism, quick connect fittings double water shutoff
- NSF certified3000-gallon capacity
- Reduces bad taste and odor, chlorine taste and odor, and particulate class III
- Uses RC-EZ-1 replacement cartridge
3. GE Smart Water Inline Filter System
The GE SmartWater is very flexible, and its compact design allows it to fit into spaces that some other filters cannot. This makes it ideal if you have a limited amount of space available. It is perfect for all refrigerators, ice makers, coffee makers, and even smaller refrigerators.
This model is very easy to install and maintain, so you will not have to worry about breaking out the whole toolbox on it. Everything needed to install it is included in the model.
The SmartLine easily attaches to existing refrigerator or ice maker water lines with its twist and lock mechanism.
The premium filtration system is certified to reduce asbestos, chlorine-resistant cysts, lead and five other contaminants. Once installed, your water will be noticeably clearer and better-tasting immediately.
- Certified to reduce asbestos, lead and chlorine-resistant cysts
- Twist and lock mechanism makes changing cartridges easy
- All connections and adapters for installation already included
- Compact design ensures easy fit and space left over
- 4.5 out of 5 star rating
- Only 30-day warranty
- Cartridge change every 5-6 months
- Possible release valve issues may require a hose washer
- Inline filtration: Filtered ice for your beverages
- Compatible with refrigerators without built-in filtration: Easily attaches directly to existing refrigerator/icemaker water line
- Premium filtration: Certified to reduce asbestos, chlorine-resistant cysts, lead and 5 other contaminants
- Six-month filter life: Filter (GXRLQR) should be replaced every six months for best filtration results
4. 3M Filtrete Undersink Filtration System
This model is perfect for anyone seeking to drink fresh, clean water directly from the tap at your sink. The 3M Filtrete system adds great value and provides enhanced reduction of contaminants from your tap water. It is tested and shown to remove parasitic cysts such as turbidity, atrazine, and cryptosporidium.
The 3M filtration system will noticeably reduce the taste, color, sediment, and odor of chlorine to provide fresh tasting water directly from the tap. It is manufactured by 3M, one of the most reputable brands in water filtration systems and other appliances.
This model features filter media that is electrostatically charged. This means that the media act like tiny magnets, attracting and capturing microscopic particles that other filters may miss.
Installation of this unit may require slightly more time than some others, but it is worth it to fit directly under your sink. Installation time is estimated at 30 minutes but will require a screwdriver and possibly other small tools depending upon your specific sink and water line.
Once connected to your cold water line, you will be able to enjoy bottle-quality water directly from the tap.
- Enhanced filtration with electrostatically charged media
- Fits under sink to allow fresh drinking water directly from the tap
- Only product in this review that attaches directly under sink
- Manufactured by one of the most trusted names in appliances
- 4.5 star rating and one of the most highly reviewed of products in this review
- Could take slightly longer to install
- Only designed for under sink
- Cartridges need to be replaced every six months
- Removes parasitic cysts to provide healthier water.
- Parasitic cysts may or may not be in your water.
- Provides ENHANCED reduction of chlorine taste & odor, sand, sediment, rust, and soil.
- Installs in less than 30 minutes and offers 6-month filter life.
- Maintains full water flow and requires no dedicated faucet head.
5. Whirlpool In-Line Ice and Water Filter
Designed and manufactured by one of the most trusted brands in appliances, this Whirlpool Inline Refrigerator Ice and Water Filter is perfect for any refrigerators. It will fit all refrigerator brands with filter access at the back of the refrigerator.
This model is specifically designed to produce the cleanest tasting water. It is NSF certified and perfect for homes, boats, RVs or anywhere else where food is refrigerated.
It will significantly reduce the taste, odor, and smell of chlorine from your tap water. The Whirlpool model will also reduce particulates and other visible distortions and discolorations that may currently corrupt your water.
This model does not only reduce bad tastes and odors but will also reduce other, less noticeable contaminants. It is designed to reduce rust, dirt and limescale buildup as well as sediment and other particles.
It makes installation easy and maintenance simple with push-on connectors that will ensure the unit stays in place.
- Manufactured by one of the most trusted names in the appliance industry
- Simple push-on connectors ensure the unit stays in place
- Reduces rust, dirt and limescale buildup
- Reduces particles up to five microns
- Quick and easy installation and maintenance
- Only fits brands with filter access in back of refrigerator
- 4 out of 5 star rating on Amazon, compared to 4.5 of other models
- Reports of leaking on some reviews
- Fits all refrigerator brands with filter access in the back of the refrigerator
- Reduces chlorine’s taste and odor, particulates, and more
- NSF certified
- Filter should be changed every 6 months
Video Credit: diversity2